Saturday, August 1, 2015

Ehukai Pillboxes

After the last hike, which was deemed an "in-complete" due to the heavy rain, I was wanting to get out again. The weather had been tolerable and sunny skies were forecast for the weekend. Some old classmates of mine had told me about another pillbox hike that also boasted some great ocean views. Saturday morning we all piled into my car and drove out to North Shore. I surprised them by sharing that it was the first time I've ever been North Shore. They were excited and played tour guides for me the entire adventure. Once we got out of the city hustle, the open spaces and stretching pineapple fields were a welcome sight. I could also tell we were approaching country, as cars disappeared into jacked up trucks and muddy SUV's. Surfboard racks, faded coolers, and poi dogs barking in beds of passing trucks all made my heart warm and fuzzy inside.

 
 Pulling in Sunset Elementary School, we parked and geared up for the hike. Mostly covered with trees, we started up the hill. To our chagrin, we had to take several breaks to wildly inhale the oxygen we needed. We agreed that school is only good for working our brains and not our other muscles. Pine trees which first dotted out hike, gave way to a large forest. The gentle breeze could be heard playing with the slender needles. The calming whistling reminded me of my childhood and days spent playing underneath the Waimea pines.

Talking story on top the cement pillbox 
Inside the Graffiti Studded Chamber 

Before we knew it, we were at the first pillbox. The effort it took to get there was well rewarded as the view was just stunning. We climbed down and went into the pillbox. I spent some time looking over the different artsy messages and drawings by the diverse graffitists. 


Piecing together artful thoughts 
 Even though I was as happy as a clam with this pillbox, my friends said the view was nothing like what the second pillbox had to offer. Of course what could be more tantalizing then a better view....and knowingly trespassing!!! As we all looked at the foreboding message on the dilapidated metal sign posted to a tree, the well worn path invited us onward. It took just a short 10 minutes down another hill before a small clearing opened up.
 

Sunset Beach, North Shore
It was simply breath-taking as I could see all the way from Ka'ena Point to Kawela Bay. We sat there for a while, eating snacks and absorbing the view. My friends shared with me landmarks as we watched the waves come in. Surfers dotted the shoreline and we spotted some catching the waves.

The 3 Musketeers
While perched on the top, we decided on lunch and were to go for a swim. Before saying goodbye to Ehukai Pillboxes, I did the obligatory jump shot.



We ended the days adventure by grabbing some ono grinds at a local food truck. After filling our empty bellies, the girls decided to show me Oahu's Waimea Bay. Although we were ready for a dunk in the refreshing water, the surf was high. Signed posted all along the beach along with random loud-speaker life guard comments stayed us from entering the turbulent waters. Of course that didn't dampen the fun we had soaking up the sun and giggling about life.


  Surrounded by lovely sights and awesome friends, this hike reminded me of how blessed I am.

3 comments:

Rebekah W said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, girl! I'm so, so glad you're having a bit of fun in Oahu and -hopefully- not stressing too much about school. That looks so beautiful! You'll definitely have to take us to some of these places when we visit you!

Miss and love you! :*

kimberly said...

So happy you're living life in O'ahu to the fullest! Looks like you're having a blast (and that view is breathtaking!).

Also, jealous of the above mentioned visit. Can I come, too?

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures...so glad you dragged my wimpy self up to enjoy the view last time...I loved it!