Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hamama Fall's

Ko'olau Ridgeline
My first hike on O'ahu was breathtaking in more ways then one. Having been quite deep in school and homework, my lungs felt like pressed flowers. I needed to venture from my little 9x10 room and feel good. I convinced my friend to also come with me on this first endeavor into the wild woods of Kaneohe. Getting a little bit turned around in our 30 min drive to the country, we giggled, talked, and left all of our troubles in the city.

Meeting up with the group of ladies was refreshing as we started our hike with prayer. We passed through forests, walked over small bridges, and soaked up the quiet morning around us. New sounds tickled my ears as I listened to the birds chirp and sing. Different shades of green blended together against a bright blue sky dotted with puffy ivory clouds.

About half way up the hike, fast moving clouds had limiting the blue skies. Often on that side of the island, morning showers frequent the mountains and valleys. My rapid breathing told me that I was in less shape then I should be. Talking became a bit more challenging as the incline increased.

Then I heard it, like a low flying airplane, a rushing roaring wonderful sound. Making the last bend, I could see the glimmer of water cascading down a lush green and black cliff. We had reached the magnificent Hamama Fall's. The freezing water rolled down and splashed in the small pool formed below. Even the air was cooler and the breeze wicked at my face.

Hamama Fall

Camera's, grinning faces, and accomplishment could be heard, seen, and felt by our little group. After getting photos, some of the ladies decided to brave the cold and submerge themselves in the chilly falls.



As we backtracked down the hill, I had a smile from ear to ear. My friend and I had decided to jump into a large pool near the beginning of the hike.  Though our heart rates had greatly decreased, we still were quiet warm. Jumping into the cold water was a refreshing way to end the first O'ahu hike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the last picture, with that face ....haha
Gorgeous story... So glad we're going to see and hear about all the hikes!!